Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

*20 Week Ultrasound*

I know that I am really, really behind on updating the blog! I figured that I would just give you a brief overview of my BIG twenty week ultrasound that I had a few weeks ago!


I went to Dr. Pupa (a radiologist in Meridian) for my twenty week ultrasound. I was really anxious and excited about it because we were going to get to see our baby again PLUS we were going to see if everything with the baby was on track! John Morgan went with me to the doctor and thankfully we did not have to wait that long. We went back into the ultrasound room pretty quickly and the technician got started with everything. Like I always am (very anal), I went ahead and told her that I had several questions and concerns that I wanted to clear up during the ultrasound. John Morgan looked at me like I was totally embarrassing him, but I told him to chill out because I wanted to find out that everything with our sweet baby boy was alright! She started the ultrasound and like every time before my heart started pounding out of my chest as soon as I saw him on the screen! My first reaction is, "Oh my gosh, he looks so BIG!" He literally looked like a baby that should be sleeping in my arms already! She continued with the ultrasound and was checking for all of the routine things that she checks for. (Now keep in mind the bulk of this ultrasound is on tape, with no audio). She reassured me that he looks great and that all of his organs and his heart are looking exactly the way that they should. She showed us an enlarged picture of his heart and it was beating so fast and it was so sweet! She told us that his heart looked perfectly normal! She was trying so hard to get a good picture of his face, but like always he had his little hand in front of his face (little stinker)! She was trying everything that she could to get him to move his hand. She was poking my stomach, jiggling me every which-a-way, making me lay in different positions, and making him bounce around. It was unreal to see on the screen that when I make any little movement, he moves right along with me! She kept telling me that everything that she was doing was not hurting him at all (because I guess she saw the looks on ours faces like she was bothering him)! She said that she was going to wait a few minutes to see if he would move his hand if she left him alone for a minute or two. When she came back and tried again she was right... he had finally moved his little hand and we could see his beautiful face! It is still one of the best feelings and moments when I get to see his little face and know that he is a product of me and John Morgan! CRAZY! Then we saw one of the most memorable ultrasound moments ever.... he was opening and closing his sweet mouth and swallowing!! It was amazing to actually see him in action and to know that he is our little baby. It always makes me thank God every time because it reminds me constantly how magnificent the pregnancy process is and that he is the one that made it all possible for me and John Morgan! Thank you GOD for bringing us such a wonderful, joyous, and beautiful little baby boy and we haven't even gotten to meet him yet!

During the ultrasound, completely out of nowhere, the nurse looked up and us and said, "Were yall big babies?" This kind of took me back because I was immediately thinking, "Why is she asking us this?" I said, "Oh no, why? Is he too big, what is wrong?" She started laughing and said that nothing was wrong, she could just tell that he was a little bigger than what he should have been at that gestational age. I knew how much I weighed so I told her that I was about 8 pounds 5 ounces, but John Morgan had no clue! He was already in the process of texting Mrs. Susan to find out his weight, which turned out to be about 8 pounds 1 ounce. He told her that and she said that it figured because our little baby looked like he was going to be a BIG-en! (This did not surprise me at all since my entire pregnancy has been plagued with questions about whether or not I was further along than I thought or if I was sure that I wasn't having twins...) She measured his thigh bone and his head (and maybe something else, I can't remember) to determine an estimated size and weight. She determined that he was about a week and a day ahead of schedule (based on his size). She told us that is perfectly fine and that we would much rather have a big healthy baby than one that is too small, so I was totally alright with it! It shouldn't have been a surprise at all because when she enlarged a picture of his little foot she measured it and told us that he foot was already about 4 cm! WOW! This is a baby that still has halfway to grow! The nurse also told us that he was around one pound (give or take a few ounces), which was great!

All in all, the doctor's visit went great! OH YEAH, about my questions and concerns for her! When she was doing the ultrasound I made sure to fill her in on Baby Johnny and my cousin's baby that was born with her bladder on the outside of her body. Maybe I might have been embarrassing John Morgan, but I thought that it was the best time to at least ask and she if she could ease my mind. She checked for his kidneys and his little bladder and she said that everything is in place and where it should be, which was a blessing for sure! We walked out of the doctor's office with a wonderful tape of our baby moving around to show our family and friends and some great pictures of him for our collection!

We are so excited and can't wait to meet our little man! We love all of our family and friends so much and look forward to sharing the rest of this experience with each and everyone of you!

With love and until next time,

Anna and John Morgan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment